Chirped by Cass
My book club just had our annual meeting where we all bring a book to propose as a pick for the new year. After everyone presents their book choice and we decide what month it will be for. Then I put together a simple bookmark for the club members. It lists all the books, authors, meeting dates, and any activities we came up with to go along with the books’ themes. After 15 years of hosting, I’m getting quite a collection! Here’s a little “How-To” in case you’d like to surprise your own book club…
First, I generate the list on the computer. I usually fit two lists on one sheet of paper. I typically print them on neutral-colored parchment paper.
Then I use decorative edged paper scissors to cut out the lists. I like the shaped blades because it doesn’t matter much if you don’t cut straight… lol.
Next I either find scraps of scrap-booking paper or I buy a colorful new 8 x 8 paper pack. I use a paper cutter to trim the paper down to a good size to frame each list, so that it forms a contrasting border. I attach the lists to the colored paper with double-stick tape. Using a corner punch, I round the corners of the colored paper.
Now it’s time to find fun little stickers in my stash or at the craft store, which I adhere to the bookmarks. I add three to four stickers, depending on the size.
For a finishing touch, I take an ultra-fine-point Sharpie and put some kind of small ticking mark around the outside of the parchment bookmark. This gives it a little definition and pop.
Next is a trip to the local copy store, where I usually have the bookmarks laminated as a large sheet. Back at home, I just take scissors and separate them. I leave about 1/8″ of the lamination around the edge of the paper. Last step, using the corner punch, I trim off the corners of the lamination.
Here is the finished product! Members of the club love the bookmarks – not only to hold their place in the current selection, but for quick reference regarding upcoming books and meeting dates. They also make nice mementos of past years’ reading lists.
- Book Club in a Basket
- Book Club in a Basket, Revisited…
- September’s Cheep Trills
- Summertime’s Cheep Trills
- March’s Cheep Trills
- October’s Cheep Trills
Like This Chirp?
- Subscribe to our Blog by entering your email near the bottom or to the right of this screen under “Subscribe”. You’ll get a message about once a week when we post something new! Note: Look for an automated email when you first sign up (possibly in your junk folder?), and be sure to click the link to confirm your address and start receiving our updates.
- Follow our Pinterest Boards for pinnable highlights from the blog by clicking this link: TwoFlewOverTheEmptyNest and choosing the “Follow” button. Or just pin individual images like this one to your favorite boards to inspire you later on!
- *NEW!* Follow us on Instagram for craft, travel, book, recipe, and project highlights between blog posts! Just click here: TwoFlewOverTheEmptyNest and choose the “Follow” button.
Thanks for reading!
She slaved for endless hours…. but they look great!
They do! And I’m not surprised… lol, Tina
I wish I lived closer so I could join!
It’s a great club! Maybe you could start your own?